View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Making a difference through my PCS

One of my biggest struggle with being out of work, is feeling like i am not making a difference in anyones life on a daily basis. As a nurse, i've always found my work very rewarding and uplifting and i miss it so much! But lately, i'm finding that i am making a difference in the smallest ways through other people.

The other day, one of my coworkers (and a very good friend) told me how she is so much more aware of her patients complaints of headaches or odd neurological symptoms because of what she has seen with me. This friend was one of the first people to help me after my accident when i was at my worst (stuttering every word, hallucinating most of the time, very weird visual changes, dizzy and falling every hour, obviously awful headaches, etc). She said because of me, she is a better nurse after watching me deal with my TBI and PCS. I never thought of the impact i would have on my nurse friends.

Also, my last therapy session, my therapist said she spent 2 hours studying intensely about my PCS right after our last session. She has some experience with it, but watching me struggle for the past 6 months made her want to understand the psychological component more so she could understand what i was going through, and so she will be wiser with further PCS patients.

Trying to find a positive out of the negative that is our conditions. Hoping positive thinking can get me through all this!
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Katiebell (10-24-2011), tamisue (10-22-2011)