Thread: cymbalta
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've taken Cymbalta for over 2 years and it's been very effective at reducing my pain, which is in the torso and now neck and jaw.

Initially it made me nauseous but over time I adjusted to it. I started with 30 mg, went to 60 mg, 90 mg and am now at 120 mg. Your body does tend to adjust to it, so over time you need higher doses to get the same effect. At least that's how it's been for me.

One thing I discovered by reading the package insert carefully: The efficacy of the drug is reduced in some patients by as much as 30% if taken with food, so I make sure my stomach is empty before taking the med just before going to bed.

I wonderful benefit for me of taking Cymbalta has been the abatement of depression and anxiety I was experiencing because of the neuropathy and other physical problems. That's why I'm especially loathe to go off it, even though it's become less effective now that I've topped out at 120 mg.

Cymbalta is hard on the liver. I've been careful not to drink alcohol or take Tylenol while I've been on it. My neurologist didn't think it necessary to have liver enzyme tests, but I've gotten them though my GP and so far everything has been ok.

Good luck, and I hope Cymbalta works as well for you as it has for me.
nsw43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote