Thread: Cold feet
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Your feet feel cold inside, but...

aren't outside..to touch. or just the opposite. Finding the just right things to do is a matter of trial and error. AND It's not your imagination....

Weird or incorrect temp sensations are syptoms of all sorts of PN's. Gel warming paks or the rice or barley packets are good to use as they are a gentle heat, not one that can burn. Part of this is explained under a stickie I'd posted a while ago...page 3 I believe about skin. It's under diabetic neuropathy, but it's good in explaining that those malfunctiong nerves aren't telling your vascular and llymph systems what to do correctly. Or, simply telling the other systems what the totally wrong thing IS rather that what it really SHOULD be.

What to do? The Cosy Soles are one approach...tho I wouldn't heat them so long for starters...sometimes Microwaving stuff can get far hotter than our damaged nerves and skin can really tell - get burned that way. I use a 'celery storage' Tupperware type container and fill it 1/2 way w/ tepid water and soak. I'd found that hot water, was well, just too hot! Another thing I do on occasion is blow my hair-dryer over the cold area..on a low speed, medium temp. That seems to take the 'chill off'. Gentle massaging the bothered areas can help too, just gets things moving...but sometimes, the 'rubbing' is as bad as the problem...Try it and see?

My hands get that way too, for that I've a pair of finger-less 'mittens'. I can wear them and type and stuff and they keep my wrists, palms and knuckles covered but the fingers can do their thing for most 'dry' stuff. Most diabetic socks I've found to be totally useless [and expensive], but one kind "Medi-Peds' I've found in the pharmacy part of places like Walmart-are reasonable and don't seem to be too tight even when the ankles swell. I've not seen/found them on-line yet tho.

Hope this all helps. I know that strange 'pain' is worse than getting real frostbite. I've been close a few times and there is NO comparison.

Hang in there...someone else probably has even better things to try! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote