View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Walking is great. Several of my doctors have told me it's probably the single best exercise/activity we can do (assuming we can do it). I can't (much at all), so I'm trying Tai Chi w/ some Qigong mixed in. I'm also getting out a bit and working with my therapy dog. That's good for both of us.

One other thing that has helped me with both pain and weight is a diet for intractable pain (briefly, at least 50% protein, no carbs/sugar, no dairy except cheese, no fruit juice).
http://pain-topics.org/pdf/IntractablePainSurvival.pdf
(Page 34)

It's been 2 years since I've had any dairy, and in an evening of weakness last month, we broke down and got some ice cream from a local dairy. The next day my pain levels went up 2 points, I ached all over. A couple days later I was back to "normal" (for me). Curious about this, I repeated the experiment a couple more times, with the same result. Apparently dairy is a no-no for my particular metabolism, which is a shame, cuz I love the stuff.

I'll probably do it again from time to time, (even my doctors agree, "ya gotta live") but no more than a couple times a year. It might be worth it on a rare occasion, but not more than that. Gotta pay the piper.

Doc

Thanks Doc for your reply, my Dr suggested walking a while ago stating one of the best exercises to lose weight, it is difficult as most days my pain level is 7-8.and the rubbery legs is a weird feeling holding on tight to the rail lol, Tai Chi would be interesting but does it help with weight loss or just good stretching? I have a lot of good stretches my PT has me doing daily.
I am not a big eater, I really try and watch what I eat, I am not into sweets my hubby eats that stuff, I like chips, popcorn etc the salty stuff and not into dairy much at all hubby has ice cream every nite trys to intice me to eat it, but no thanks. I am making my baked penne tonite lots of melting cheese yummy lol. I'm a pasta freak! Carbs = pasta right? Not a good diet for me lol. What kind of dog do you have Doc? I take it therapy dog meaning you walk your dog when you can? Thanks again and take care.
Bunz
---------------------------------------------------

bunz50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote