View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 03:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My story differs slightly from what's already been posted. I too had an initial "migraines" diagnosis, but in 2009 Dr. Linda Gray at Duke UMC ( u can call DUke directly at 919 684 8111 and book an appt with Dr. Gray )found 7 tears in my dura were causing the low pressure pain. Took 14 blood patching procedures over 1 1/2 years to seal me up. Then the real culprit, HIGH pressure and underabsorption by brain tissue, was discovered. Pseudotumor cerebri is the name of the condition. It's rare but not unheard of, and in APril 2011 Dr. Gerry Grant, Duke neurosurgeon, put in a VP shunt. After initial complications (infections and then blockage) I have had good results and relief with my Codman programmable VP shunt.... until this week. Pain in my chest, along tubing route sent me to ER. no infection found in blood and no fever. was sent home with pain med Rx. I am now in contact with both doctors mentioned above (both are away at conferences, but emailing and/or calling me) to determine next step. I cannot recommend these two doctors highly enough. DOn't stop til you get to see them.

Has anyone else had chest pain from shunt catheter? It's different from infection or blockage pain.
cmurphy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote