View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I hear ya, Liz....

Two of our cats are very old. So I worry. Hard to tell if it is real, or
due to this fisaco-- any symptoms that show up.

BUT...my son's cat was ill during the window-- Early Dec thru now.
She recovered however.

We have some dry treats we give, and wheat gluten is on some of those labels.
(Whisker Lickin's) ... so I am concerned.

Another thing that worries me is that so far the animals who have died quickly were SMALL...so any agent in the food, may be toxic according to weight.
If the animal is bigger, or if it is a human, perhaps only subtle damage to the kidneys occur...WHICH MAY NOT BE NOTICED....this is what is alarming me.

And it is possible that the "agent" causing this needs moisture...to grow or
produce more toxin. Hence the dry foods may not so dangerous.
Hence the bottles of gravy they sell for dogs, may be very dangerous.
Hence foods for humans with gravy etc may be a problem.

I guess the only thing to do is start removing moist, and using only dry.
My son has already started that since he is using the kidney formula for his two girls. (the older rescue has had huge vet bills since he adopted her, and the latest was in this toxic window.)
I am already doing non cat food treats daily for all three. I guess I will eventually stop moist cat food entirely, and do some human quality food +
quality kibble (Eukanuba). But I am even thinking...these high end brands,
like Science Diet and Iams were affected...they are buying their food from a mega maker.

There is a program on Discovery and repeats of the same on Nat Geo channel on cable. It is called "How It Is Made"...and comes from Canada. I saw an episode in late fall on pet food kibble manufacture. I just wonder now if that were Menu Foods? These huge manufacturers may just use a recipe for each company... and make them to order. This is not unlike the vitamin industry, or generic OTC products for humans. An error in the main ingredient list, which may occur for many recipes, would then cross over and affect everyone!

One such major producer for humans, Perrigo, had a huge recall recently for acetaminophen (Tylenol) that had metal shavings in them. It affected huge numbers of product all over the country.

With the complexity we live with today, we are just very vulnerable!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote