View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Akasthesia multiple times?

Has anyone had akasthesia repeatedly from various meds? I'm BP I with med sensitivities. I was 1st diagnosed with akasthesia years ago when I tried abilify. That time it was not that bad and I was working again soon. I assumed it would never happen again given it is rare. A few months ago I had surgery. We're not sure what triggered it although some nausea meds can and I was nearly certainly given one of the high risk ones because I'm on an MAOI which kept triggering that Zofran, which is safe, is contra-indicated (I've been taking it for years because of a condition where I dehydrate rapidly and dangerously if vomiting too long). I'm waiting for the records to come so I can see what was given. I eventually was admitted to a well-known psych hospital where a protocol they are using was started. For me this was neurontin and cogentin (can't take propanol b/c of asthma). This did work but neurontin and I fought and I came off it last week. I'm now solely on cogentin. I am still having serious sleeping issues which scare me as I start working this week. With permission I tried adding a bit to my antipsychotic dose last night only to find myself trying to cancel agitation very early this AM. So I guess I'm not done with akasthesia.

What really scares me is that I have been diagnosed twice, with this recent one being horrible and long-lasting. But I know of another time when I was between doctors that I am 100% sure I had it (and it's a side effect of that med) and another probable time.

I haven't had a chance to talk much to my doctor about the repeated incidents. I am very med sensitive and suspect this is another way. Has anyone else has akasthesia repeatedly? (this happening for an innocent med given in a carefully monitored b/c of my meds surgery is really scary, especially at 2 months post-op). Any treatment success in preventing it or stopping when it is severe (mine was mistreated as mania for a while with, unfortunately, high dose antipsychotics)?
JustMeJen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote