View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Ibuproferon/lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeycbee View Post
Thanks for all the information. I do use ibuprofen for milder headaches and pains and not one doctor ever told me in eleven years about that interaction. I have had lithium toxicity before, and at the time they could not explain it, but I never would have dreamed that ibuprofen may have been the cause. Thanks for all the information, you probably saved me from another trip to the hospital with toxicity issues
Yeah, most doctors don't know about that interaction. I have actually made a few go look it up. I have been on strict avoidance of ibuproferon since starting lithium 9 years ago, but after I had a serious toxicity my doctor made it very clear that I could not ever have any NSAID again while on even the small dose of lithium I take now. On the other hand because I can't take aspirin because I can't have caffeeine and tylenol can be rather useless my psychiatrist is totally supportive of using vicodin both for things most people would need only ibuproferon (severe headaches, minor dental surgery, sprains, etc.) as well as I use hycodan (vicodin without tylenol) for colds since I can't have cold meds either (I think that's lithium as well) and for an extended period a year ago when I had a powerful respiratory infection or vicodin for about a month surrounding surgery recently. It's much safer than ibuproferon.
JustMeJen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote