View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello, I am new and not as familiar with this forum's customs. I think my question is similar to OP so I hope it's OK to post it here, and not start a new thread. I have read all the posts in this thread but they seem to be concerned w/ the review process, whereas my question is about college and the end interview.

I am 24 and applied for SSI this April for Bipolar Disorder, type I. I've had numerous hospitalizations for mania since I was 17. I've also had depressive episodes over the past 18 months. I have not worked since Nov. 2010. At the time I applied for SSI, I was going through a severe depressive period and was on medical leave from school (my fourth such medical leave). However, I petitioned the school to let me return in Sept. b/c I was no longer depressed to the point of paralysis. Manic symptoms have also been in check. The school granted my request and I'm currently in school full time, although it is very difficult.

Anyway, I was kind of surprised to hear from SSI last week. I think the woman said I was approved for disability (the connection was bad and I couldn't make her out clearly, which is why I'm not 100% sure) and she arranged a time for me to conduct a phone interview with her on Monday. This call was from the local SSA office btw, the one where I had my initial interview at the time I applied for SSI. I really was not expecting to be approved the first time, especially since I did not use a lawyer and there were a lot of delays in the submission of my paperwork (from me, my doctor, and from the hospital for records).

Do you guys think this is the end interview after approval? If not, then what other reason would she need to arrange an appointment to speak with me? If it really is an end interview b/c I was medically approved, then will they ask me about school? I have not had any income or increase in resources so I believe I still qualify financially, however I am not sure to what extent my going to school will matter at this point. Also, when she was trying to reach me last week, my mom told her I might be in class, so will the interviewer be obliged to follow up on that point? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

PS I should also add that I only have a few classes to complete before I get my BA. I do not plan on being on SSI for more than 1-2 years. Bipolar disorder is hard to predict, b/c there are periods of full remission followed by periods of debilitating illness, but my plan is to achieve remission for longer and longer periods and be able to work full time in my field after graduation.
LinaV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote