View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post
I had a 7 day trial and I had really sharp intense pain in my back where the wires were coming out 5 out of 7 days (the last two days the pain was definitely still there, but it was less intense and my back was finally less tender as well). The pain in my back was not fun at all, but I felt it was worth it completely due to the relief in my knees and legs that I was getting from the stimulator.

After the leads were removed, I had some mild soreness in my back for about 6 days and then it went away. I think part of this, though, is because the resident who took my stitches out didn't really know what he was doing. I've never had so much pain from having stitches removed and at one point he even got one of them stuck. I think my pain would've gone away sooner after if it wasn't for this.

During the trial I was active, maybe too much but I wanted to make the most of the week. I was in physical therapy the same day it was in doing a decent amount of exercises, which a lot of people probably wouldn't advise but I made it through ok. The next day I think I pushed it too much though between sitting in classes for 3 hours, driving to and from school and to and from physical therapy, and then going to an induction ceremony in the evening.

Hope this answers your question!
Hi Yellow,

You are so young to take this step and it seems as though you have not had CRPS for very long. Have you tried tCDS? If not please ask your doctor if you could exhaust all non invasive treatments first.

Please see mrandmrsbat's post today and take the time to do your own independent research. Putting the breaks on until you are thoroughly informed does not eliminate the possibility of implantation in the future. Informed consent is a tricky thing with SCS. When they fail for CRPS patients there is no reporting of the failures to the SCS manufacturers and if you review the experiences of failed SCS for folks on NT it is common for the physician to inform the patient that there is nothing more that he/she can do.

I am particularly concerned because in a prior post you indicated that you were hopeful that you could teach sunday school and return to your classes three days after implantation. It is very disconcerting that you are two weeks away from your surgery date and your physician has not informed you of the very serious recovery time as well as the very real risks.

I am keeping you in my prayers and thoughts!!!! I am so sorry that at such a young age you have to deal with CRPS and the kind of decisions that are part and parcel of the disease.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to become your own advocate!

I am keeping you in my thought and prayers!
ballerina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (10-23-2011)