View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD38 View Post
Hi Chroma
GREAT LINKS.
I also think the whole breathing issue contributes so much to TOS.
I have never thought about this before or made a connection but as a child I suffered from pneumonia which took me months to recover from.
I now think that this is probably where I developed my poor ( shallow breathing) from.

QUESTION: Is this also why I occassionally suffer from dizziness and headaches??? .....Lack of sufficient oxygen, I think maybe so.

My main aim now is to focus on the breath.

Belly breathing really does take off so much pressure to the thoracic region.
However after years of the wrong kind of breathing it's quite tough to get used to and use the belly breathing technique.
Best wishes
SD38
I had a dizzy flash this morning and could have sworn that just preceding it, I had STOPPED breathing. Like I just paused. Not sure why I would do that, but I was leaning forward at the time. Strange stuff.

Re: your comment on the difficulty of changing breathing patterns, this quote from the "The Respiration Connection" seems significant:
Quote:
Padula et al. Inspiratory muscle training: integrative review. Research & Theory For Nursing Practice. 2006. Comments: This review of the evidence indicates that exercising your breathing musculature probably works pretty darned well, and benefits take about “20 to 30 minutes per day for 10 to 12 weeks” to achieve. Better yet, the evidence also shows that it’s reasonable to expect some benefits “regardless of method”! In other words, there’s no great concern about which technique to use. Common protocols for respiratory training “are generally safe, feasible, and effective.”
chroma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SD38 (10-24-2011)