View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmanisport View Post
Hello everyone!
I would love someone's opinion who has been through what I'm going through, because my head is spinning trying to decide what to do.

I was diagnosed with TOS a few years back, and have since cut my hours at work, and see a physical therapist and also chiropractor/massage therapist because of it. I have pain in the area which runs from my neck to my shoulders all the time, but have gotten used to it. I also have tingling, numbness and cold in both my arms and hands all the time. I thought that was all that could occur from TOS.

Recently I was diagnosed with a subclavian blood clot and treated with bloodthinners. Was seen by ER doc, hematologist and general practitioner. No one could have any explanation for what caused this. Finally after a few weeks, my practitioner told me of a condition called Paget Schroetter syndrome and told me to look into it. She put my in contact with a Dr she knows that specializes in Paget Schroetter. He is far away, but he ordered me a venogram to inspect the clot.

So, the venogram does show that my vein is still completely shut due to compression of my first rib. The vascular surgeon told me I need rib resection and release of some muscles and repair of the vein.

I asked him if he knew of anyone closer to me, as we are many states apart. He said no, there is no one in NJ, NY or PA who can do this surgery for me, and I should fly out to have him do it.

I told my hematologist about this and she told me that Paget Schroetter disease or effort thrombosis is hog wash and to continue taking my blood thinners and thats all I can do. She said as long as I dont have an extra rib, I cannot have this disorder.

I am so confused, I dont know what to do. Should I really travel 1,000 miles away to have this surgery done by someone who supposedly has a good reputation, but whom I havent even met? Has anyone else had this dilemma that could offer some advise to me? I'd appreciate it very much!!
Hi,
I don't want to advise but here is my experience.
I underwent a first rib excision op (2 months ago) due to arterial/venous compressions. The procedure was performed to relieve the pressure on my artery even though I did NOT suffer clot damage and had NO extra rib.
Believe me I know that you can have compressions without having an extra rib. When I raise my arms up (unoperated side) hand turns white and I totally lose my pulse while the operated side now has a strong blood flow and a nice pink colour to the hand.
I have post surgery anxiety due to the fact that I'm due a 2nd identical op on the other side to free up a venous occlusion.
I'm obviously tender after it and have some neuro issues plus the scarring is horrid BUT no occlusion. That in its self for me brings some kind of peace of mind. The fear of an aneurysm prompted me to go ahead with the surgery.
If you are unsure because you have never met the recommended surgeon than maybe you could arrange an online chat (skype) with him to discuss the procedure?
Best wishes with whatever you decide. In the meantime concentrate on your posture and relaxation techniques to help you through it.
SD38

SD38
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote