View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear 343v343

Thank you very much for your input. The vascular surgeon says yes, he is sure there are Drs closer to me that can do it, but they do not do this particular surgery enough that I should feel comfortable going to them.
I didnt know anything about nerve issues associated with this surgery- see no one has mentioned that to me at all. It sounds like I can't or shouldnt walk around with an occluded vein for the rest of my life, so I guess the surgery must be the lesser of two evils. Yes I would travel far to go to the better surgeon, no doubt about that.

Nothing said to me about sever risk or immenent danger, just that I'm in a "chronic state" and it wont go away on its own. The surgeon told me stop taking my coumadin (blood thinners) because there is no need for it, since a blood disorder is not what is causing the occlusion, rather its caused by compression. My general practitioner told me to keep taking it, just to be on the 'safe' side.

No, self care has not produced relief for me. I have cut my hours so much I am practically unemployed. I may as well quit alltogether at this point...

Symptoms went from neuro to vascular when one day, out of the blue, my arm, hand and fingers swelled up to twice the side of my other arm. I had an emergency ultrasound which showed apparent subclavicle-axillary deep venous thrombosis.

Thank you again so much for your advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 343v343 View Post
If the venogram shows closure, I would not mess around with it. I would do as JoMar suggests and get a few different opinions. Would think someone COULD do the surgery where you're at - but whether you'd want that is another question. Personally if/when I have to cross that bridge, I'd want NOTHING but the best surgeon I could find.

Chances are (from what I've read extensively) your nerve issues will become worse, but vascular issues better from the surgery. So you're likely trading vascular peace of mind for neurological issues indefinitely - especially once scar tissue forms. Tough call, and I doubt there is a "right" answer. Only the best answer for you. You'd have to pick the lesser of the two evils, I suppose.

Have they said anything about imminent danger or severe risk in the meantime? How did the symptoms progress or go from Neuro to vascular? Did you try self care that produced any relief?
Mcmanisport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote