View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

greenfrog,

You are being far to analytical about your symptoms. This is likely a big part of your anxiety and depression. Recovery from a concussion is never a straight line. It is a roller coaster that almost never repeats the same track. You will notice trends with triggers, exertion, etc. but they will not always cause the same symptoms in the same ways.

My signature has a Bible verse because "being still" is an important part of recovery. It does not mean you can do nothing. It means not reacting to every single event or symptom.

Elavil (amitriptyline not my mispelling nantriptyline) has shown to help with the head aches. At the small dose that is prescribed (10 mgs), it will likely not have much impact on depression.

An anti-anxiety med may be helpful so you can lower your stress level. Just be aware that, 1. They take up to 6 weeks to become effective. 2. They can be miserable to stop using. (I know this first hand) 3. Their effect on the brain, especially an injured brain, is not understood. Some question whether they cause long term problems, even after they have been discontinued.
4. They are risky for women who may become pregnant.

I would love to not be taking an SSRI but I have tried stopping and it was not a nice experience. Some of the side effects are annoying such as sweating profusely with only minor exertion and occasional nausea. Other side effect impact others such as interfering with sexual functions, libido etc.

I just had an funny but weird/disturbing event. I went back and added (nantriptyline) after Elavil in the paragraph above. I know I spelled it wrong and it was underlined with the red squigglies. When I right clicked to see if the correct spelling was suggested, the suggestion was 'pantyliner.' Somebody at Microsoft needs their head examined. I would never have thought pantyliner was in the MS spelling dictionary. There are plenty of words I use and misspell often that are not in the spelling dictionary.

btw, Notice the misspelling. My brain mixed up the A and the N in the first three letters of amitriptyline that I was trying to spell anatriptyline. My brain gets so confused, I can't even misspell words the way I want.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote