View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A true scientist

I attended a PD symposium in Sarasota and heard Dr. Alberts story of how he discovered this therapy-on a charity bike ride where he had a tandem partner who happened to have Parkinson's. After studying the results when this guy finished riding he went to the lab a set about to recreate the experience and here we are. In my opinion it is Dr. Alberts who ought to be profiting-though I suspect he simply wants the therapy to be developed, validated and progress. He is a true scientist in every respect of the word. What ought to be done is to push the insurance companies to provide these bikes to PWP, 35 percent improvement. How much of an improvment do we get out of a given med for example?35 percent is great, this does not take into account the many intangible effects of getting the PD patient to exercise-better mental health, probable increases in mobility after time spent exercising, less medication demand, overall improved health vs a PD patient who doesn't exercise, is depressed, has limited mobility and utilizes more healthcare because of it. More strain on families, on and on. Why is our system so darn blind to this? I know it won't matter but doesn't it just **** you off!
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote