Thread: help
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongett View Post
i stoped working in 2005 i got hurt on the job i was turned down by ssdi many times so i started a new app. i got a letter stating i meet the requirements for ssdi from april 2010 on my 2006 ss statment it said if i became disabled i would get about 625.00 since i stoped working in 2006 would i get 625.00 or less.

Since SSDI is based on a formula using your average lifetime earnings, having several zero years (2005-2010) can reduce your average lifetime earnings so the estimate you got in 2005 is not valid for a disability onset date of 2010. But it depends on how many other zero or low years of earnings you have had in your lifetime because the lowest five are generally disregarded.

The answer to your question is, it depends. Best I can do.

It is incorrect that there is a minimum for SSDI. SSDI benefits can be less than $200 a month, more than $1500 a month. All depends upon lifetime earnings because it is based on what you put in.

The SSI (Supplemental Security Income) program is a totally separate program that can pay some money on top of the SSDI if your total income from all sources is low enough and the value of your assets is low enough. SSI federal benefits can be from $1 to $674. Your other income can include your SSDI, pensions, unemployment, gifts from family, free rent, earnings, gambling winnings, inheritances, etc. SSI is a low income, public assistance program that if you have not filed for it, you may want to get an official answer about whether or not you meet the income and resource rules.

It is also incorrect that everyone is denied the first claim that is filed. About 1 out of 3 initial applications are approved. That does mean 2 out of 3 are denied. But some of the denials include people who file because their LTD carrier requires it - not because they think they meet the rules. Some of the denials also are from people who think someone owes them money if they have a problem even if they don't come close to meeting the legal definition of disability. Other denials include claims filed by people who don't take the time to make a high quality claim (a doctor's last name with no address) and think that SSA will be able to find all the records and that the doctors will all respond. Then there are claims by people who are borderline disabled and get approved by lenient ALJ's. Then there are the people who are truly disabled who get denied until a lawyer writes a brief and puts all the evidence in a framework that shows the claimant meets the legal definition and convinces an ALJ.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mz Migraine (10-25-2011)