View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryll View Post
I have had a shunt since 10 days old and had several revisions over the years. I am 38 and the latest shunt revision was Feb 2010 which they put in a VP magnetic shunt. I have had the setting altered a few times due to too much drainage. I still suffer from headaches and poor concentration levels. I am only able to do 30-45 mins concentrating on anything. I would like to hear from others who have a shunt to share stories. I am 38 years old.
I started out with an AV shunt, when I was 8mos.-old(Jan.'68). I don't know when I was switched to a VP shunt, but it was sometime over the course of five revisions I had by the time I was 9yrs.-old. I have not had any revisions since then. But all that surgery has had a lasting effect.

In addition to my ventricular brain aneurysm causing my hydrocephalus, the surgeries for both, caused bruxism(grinding of the teeth), depression, epilepsy and learning disabilities.

The last time I had a bad headache, was during the weekend of the 2011 Super Bowl. But the headaches were not related to hydrocephalus. I did vomit once, but both were due to exposure to fumes from the furnace, when I was trying to fix it. Prior to that, I had not had a bad headache of any sort, in more than thirty years. I have had the occasional headache from drinking a Coca-Cola, but that has been from a sudden rush of caffeine after a long time without it.
lcms0516 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote