View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

It's not really up to the governor, but the legislature, which passes laws. That may depend on which side which lobbyists are on. If it flies (and I could be wrong, but I believe it already has in other states, so the precedent may already be set) it could be challenged constitutuionally at either state or federal level (I'm not a lawyer) if it hasn't already. With the current climate and courts...

You're right that it's about denying benefits to as many people as they can. They'll bump people who have anything in their bloodstream that isn't prescribed, and they'll bump anyone that doesn't have exactly the right amounts - either too high or too low. These tests are better than they were years ago, but they're still a long way from perfect (false results) and people could go broke trying to exonerate themselves from some lab foul-up.

Two things I'm sure of are it's the wrong way to handle a complex medical issue and it's not about medicine anyway - it's about money.

I see the Gray Panthers are still around
http://www.graypanthers.org/
(I would hope they have some pull in FL), AARP, and other pain patient advocacy organizations who could tell you better than I how to fight it in specific states.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BigDaddy (12-11-2011)