View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Default Why seeing doctor monthly for fentanyl patches Rx?

Hi, everybody:

I have been using fentanyl patches since September 2002 for severe chronic pain caused by generalized internal chronic RSD. At the present time, I use the 125 mcg dosage: one 100 mcg patch and one 25 mcg patch every 72 hours.

The primary care doctor who prescribes the fentanyl patches for me will never increase the fentanyl dosage, even if I need it someday. Why? I have no idea, but I suspect fear of the public health insurance company that covers the fentanyl patches (I have a co-pay of 30% for now). This insurance company has been harassing my doctor sooo many times because these patches are very expensive. My doctor must be tired and afraid of this harassment. Some lawyer will receive my visit soon if this insurance company continues acting this way. I have to add that I will have to use the fentanyl patches for the rest of my life because RSD cannot be cured.

My question is: Why do patients who have to use fentanyl patches for the rest of their lives have to see a doctor every month to get the prescription for the fentanyl patches when there is no change in the patients' chronic pain condition? Would seeing the doctor every three months instead of monthly not be enough?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and information.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote