View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default To refrigerate or not to refrigerate Lantus or Levimir

I am now totally confused.

I was always under the impression that Vials of Lantus and Vials of Levirmir have to STAY refrigerate for as long as you use the product (with syringes).

The other ones (the flex pens), well you store them in the fridge, but when you first use them, they stay at room temperature. (both lantus and levemir pens).

Well, I just was surfing the net trying to make heads or tails of the truth of all this and I stumbled upon a dialogue between some diabetics and their consensus is "Oh, I would NEVER refrigerate the vial of Lantus or Levirmir", I just keep it together with my other insulins in a box on the table"

And one of them said "Or, you could keep the vial of levemir in the fridge, and in the a.m., take a syringe, put the med in the syringe, put the vial back in the fridge and leave the syringe filled with meds on the kitchen table so it will be warm when a shot is taken at bedtime, otherwise it will burn you.

I have never done this in my life. I have used vials for 7 years, recently used the Solostar pen, (took it out of the fridge), kept it at room temp for 28 days, then used a second pen.

My doctor gave me samples of the Levemir pen and a vial of Levemir.

Haven't used them yet, I'm still using the vial of Lantus which I want to use before I start a new product.

Doing well, but if someone who uses either product, well can you tell me how you store each one? In the fridge, all the time, some of the time, none of the time.

I'm very confused now and I"ve been using Lantus for 7 years.

thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote