View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So my disability appointment with Social Security is tomorrow. The only thing I am sorta hesitant about is that I wasn't able to get copies of all my x-rays/mris in paper form. I may be able to print out a report, though. I know having stuff like that will probably will be helpful.

I haven't been able to work since December of last year, so I am finally attempting to start a disability claim. I got in touch with an attorney, and they advised me to go ahead and apply for SSDI as well as SSI (I was only going to apply for SSI before.) They said it's better to apply for the SSDI and just be told I am ineligible, rather than not try at all.

I really doubt I will get very far right now, because some of my doctors really don't want to have to 'see' me as permanently disabled unless I really have no more treatment options. I won't know if I have any other treatment options until I see a second neurosurgeon who specializes in deformity.

Basically, my disability is caused by chronic pain. If they can 'fix' the herniated disk, I might feel better. But they may not be able to get to my disk, due to my scoliosis. I won't know a better prognosis till I see this other doctor..but I may not see him until, say, January or so. So I was advised to go ahead and apply now, and if I suddenly feel better I can always withdraw my application.

So does that sorta sound like a decent enough plan? It was just really hard for me to finally get up the 'courage' to admit I needed this and it has almost been a year since I haven't been able to work. I figure it is better to get this going, so that if I do eventually have definite prognosis of being disabled for life or what not, that I will have had this application in sooner rather than later.

Also, I probably should have asked them before setting it up, but how is the application process exactly? Does anybody have experience with going into the actual office to apply for SSI/SSDI? I'm just wondering because of, well my physical problems with sitting and standing in one place for very long. I am just hoping they take that into consideration, that maybe it will take a while because I can't sit still for very long without changing positions.

Last edited by misterkatamari; 10-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
misterkatamari is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote