View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I remember there was one guy who came on the forum once a year to celebrate his recovery following surgery. Maybe there are some successful outcomes and those people go back to living their lives and don't post on the forum. One would think that we would at least get favorable reports. I agree that the anecdotal evidence is depressing. Folks with cervical ribs, vascular problems or car accidents seem to have better outcomes. Those of us with chronic, neurogenic symptoms don't seem to do well with surgery.

When I started this 8 years ago, doctors talked about 1/3 improving, 1/3 staying the same and 1/3 getting worse following surgery. Then about 5 years ago I started hearing success rates of 85% quoted by doctors. I haven't seen research to substantiate that change.

To answer your questions, I have bilateral TOS. I had surgery on my left side, which is my worst side. I am much worse than I was when I had surgery. Luckily, I am right handed so I can use my dominant side.

I was fortunate enough to have worked for my employer long enough to qualify for a disability retirement and I also receive SSDI. I know not everyone is as fortunate.

I certainly understand you are trying your best and dancing as fast as you can. I wish you had more options.

Take care,
Kelly
kellysf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote