View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Persistent Vision Problems Post-Concussion

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was reading through some posts, looking for an answer to my problem and I see some people have/are dealt/dealing with what I am going through. But, there wasn't enough in-depth *stuff*, so here's my story:

I had my first concussion when I was five years old (I'm currently 17). I was dropped by a classmate and fell two and a half feet, hitting my head on a thin-carpet covered concrete floor. This resulted in a basal skull fracture. Since then I've had five *more* concussions. My sixth one happened a little over 6 weeks ago, during a soccer game. I wear (wore) a Full90 concussion-prevention headband, but it didn't fully protect me in a collision with another girl. I don't actually know what happened, since I can't remember most of the game and it's as if I saw the girl, and I blinked and when I opened my eyes I saw my hips going over my face and I realized I was on the ground doing a backwards somersault. I immidiately left the game and didn't go back. (I haven't played soccer since, and unfortunately will never play compettively again.) I saw my doctor within a week after the collision, and he told me to take it easya nd that I had a concussion. I've also taken the Impact Testing, and still haven't completely recovered. As for daily symptoms, they seem to be worsening. After about a month, my symptoms were clearing up with less frequent/ weaker headaches. But this past week, I've had a headache almost constantly. I also have head rushes/ dizziness upon standing. I sometimes am talking and forget what I was saying halfway through or I forget words and have to struggle to remember what I wanted to say. Yet, my worse symptom is what I came here for. My vision has worsened. After my concussion, I couldn't focus close up or far away; only middle distance. Now, my far away vision is a little better but not much. And close up, it's hard to focus. The worst of it is when I'm reading or studying or doing work in class. It's as if I can't focus my eyes. The letters blur up and I can't keep them in straight lines, and the contrast of black on white gives me a killer headache. Also, after about ten minutes, my eyes start crossing and I feel so unbelievably tired. I can't even hold my eyelids up, and when I try to focus, my eyes just cross even more. I've tried everything I can think of: sitting up, laying down, drinking water, drinking coffee, sleeping more, sleeping less, bright lights, low lights,covering one eye, covering the other eye. Nothing helps and it's relly effecting my schoolwork and grades. I've told my parents but they just tell me it's my low blood sugar or that I didn't get enough sleep. But I know it's my eyes because it's not just one day that this happened, it's been every single day for two weeks. Finally, my mom made me an eye doctor's appointment, but that's not until November 9.

What I guess I want to know is if this a legitimate result of my concussion(s) or something else? I really think it is because of my concussion, but i don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions?
cp_ind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote