View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaV View Post
Thank you to those who replied.

I did speak with them on Monday, and the lady did not ask me any questions about school, only my financial info. However, I'm not trying to hide anything, so at the end I asked her about my being in school. She said it should not matter but that I need to tell them if I start working.

When I do start working, whether that is in a few months or many months (or perhaps even a year from now), I plan on informing them and seeing what
options I have available. I don't think SSI has as many work incentives as SSDI, but I'll figure that out when I need to. I also have no intention of ever stopping my weekly doctor visits, or my medication.

Disability for mental illness, as others have said, is a little different. I think there are usually periods of full remission, like there were in my case. However, this is why the hospital and doctor's records are so important: they show that someone can have repeated relapses followed by periods of being fully functional. I suppose it is possible that SSA could decide to give benefits for one month when you're ill, and then no benefits for the 2 months of remission, and then benefits again for the next month when you're ill, etc--but the current model doesn't work this way. You are not evaluated on a month by month basis. Also, two months of remission here and there is not going to really get you enough work to live on since most employers are not hiring by the month (or at all ).

I guess my point is that, for people who are disabled by a mental illness like bipolar, I think SSA realizes you have good and bad periods; but the combined result of the bad periods makes it very unlikely you can work even during the good period when you technically are able. So I don't need to be in the midst of mania or depression 100% of the time-- just enough that long term, steady work is not viable. Likewise, if I am working for many months with no problems, then SSA has grounds to stop the benefits, since they can more easily prove that the stability will last.

Perhaps this view of how SSA considers mental illness is incorrect, in which case, I hope someone will correct me. Thanks again for your thoughtful replies.

SSI has work incentives that are not the same as work incentives for SSDI. Go to socialsecurity.gov and read The Red Book. Request one to be mailed to you and read it cover to cover. Twice. Take notes. Read about SGA, TWP, IRWE, PASS, 1619b, EXR, Section 301, earned income exclusion, etc.

If you are able to perform substantial gainful activity in less than 12 months after your date of onset, you are jeopordizing your award. Your award could turn into a denial, after the fact. The assumption is that you have been or expected to be unable to perform substantial gainful activity for 12 months or longer, so if you return to work in less than 12 months, the initial decision can be reversed and you can be asked to pay all the money back. So be very careful about when you decide to work.

I know everyone wants a one size fits all answer to can you go to school without affecting your eligiblity for SSDI and SSI or not. There is no such one answer.

SSDI benefits can be ceased because of work activity after the trial work period if the person is performing substantial gainful activity. SSDI benefits can also be ceased because a person has shown medical recovery; that their symptoms have gone from severe to moderate or moderate to minimal. This can be because their injury has healed significantly or that medication or medical treatment is controlling the symptoms or cured the illness.

SSI benefits are not ceased due to work activity but the amount of wages can reduce SSI to zero and put a person on special (section 1619b) SSI status. SSI benefits can be ceased the same as SSDI benefits due to medical recovery.

For SSI, the first $65 of the gross wages and 1/2 of the remainder are excluded from income. Generally, income received one month determines payment two months later. There is an exception to the two month rule. Generally, income received in October determines December's SSI. Even if the money is already spent and is no longer being received. If the wages are too high, they can reduce SSI to zero in the month of receipt. You make an estimate of wages. You provide your hourly rate; number of hours you are expecting from the job; and the expected pay date. SSI needs numbers.

Does going to school show medical recovery? Maybe. Maybe not. Every case is different.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote