View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof de Rien View Post
it just occured to me that i would also love to generate a list of things that *need* to be made! what comes to mind right now, for personal reasons, are SLINGS! i have had to be in an arm sling off and on for the last five years or so... and always end up tearing the things off. there have been times -- after a major shoulder surgery like a shoulder replacement -- when i could not tolerate the sling because of crps. the straps are awful, too tight, with too many "edges" -- if you know what i mean! there needs to be a modified, allodynia-aware design.

so if anyone out there is looking to make a better mousetrap, start with slings!

in the end, i always rigged something up from a bathrobe tie, or a soft scarf -- but as easy as those were on me, they were also not exactly what my orthopedic surgeon had in mind...
Hi. My sisters and I created an arm support for my mom. She just had a "minor" stroke and her left arm is paralyzed. She cannot use a sling due to the edema in the collar bone area. We made a belt and used strong velcro to fasten it. A "sleeve" or "muff" was made out of material that was comfortable for her. She is able to thread the sleeve over her paralyzed arm and then velcro it to the belt. She said that it was more comfortable than it hanging down and more comfortable than it being stuck into her blouses between the buttons. She also said that she did not feel confined by it. It this interests you, reply and I can give you more details.
bmorton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote