View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow- if your Dr is giving you the option of rib removal and vein patch vs go off blood thinners and see if a new clot forms- I personally would do the rib removal and vein patch, based almost completely on the fact that there is extensive damage to your vein. From what I understand, if you dont get the rib removal, the vein will continue to get even more damaged. BUT keep in mind I'm not a Dr, I'm just another patient suffering with Pagett Schroetter just like you

Please, if I were you, I'd go get a 2nd and 3rd opinion from Drs. that deal with Thorasic Outlet and Pagett Schroetter on a regular basis.

When my clot was discovered, the ER doc was totally baffled- said he never saw or heard of a DVT in the upper extremity. Put me on Lovenox and Coumadin and told me to go to a hematologist. Now that months have gone by with misdiagnosis, and I finally have my correct diagnosis of Paget Schroetter (thanks to the venogram that should have been ordered months ago) I too wonder how much damage has been done to the vein and if its even reparable. I have had one opinion so far and have two more set up. They are all with vascular surgeons that specialize in TOS and PS.

Also, my vascular Dr said to me there is no reason I should be on blood thinners at this point because the clot is due to occlusion from the rib, not thick blood. I decided myself to just keep taking them anyway- to be on the safe side (if that even makes sense) at this point I dont even know anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamomma View Post
I was diagnosed with Pagett Schrotter. The damage to my vein is due to the clot. Had to have the vein ballooned up to even get the tiny cathater to fit through. My doctor, a vascular surgeon, said that the clot was very old and that my veins walls are very damaged and thickened because of the clot being there so long. I have had a venogram and am not allowed to move my arm straight out to the side or anywhere above my shoulder because I have no blood flow to my arm at that point.
Mcmanisport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote