View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question PCS after a cycling accident

Looks like everyone has a story here that's compelling enough to tell. Well, the one I'm about to tell may get you to scratch your heads.

In mid-August, I was hit by a car while training on my bicycle on one of my normal routes. Of course, I blacked out (loss of consciousness). The next thing I knew, I was on the stretcher being hauled in.

I was off work at least three weeks after the accident and started doing half-days and no-days just to get a feel of some progression. Of course, it didn't work and I had to completely turn off, so I stayed at my parents' place so I could be looked after. I did nothing. Literally.

A while later, I finally got to do one full week of full days. It was such hell, I almost quit my job. I was irritable, emotional, fatigued, but I was also high-functioning. The high-functioning bit meant that my brain was thinking way faster than I could handle. You see, I work as a software analyst discussing designs, so it requires me to think a lot. And now, having going through PCS, I'm finding that my personality has changed. I'm more outspoken but also on edge, ready to blow up if there was a heated discussion.

Now, I'm looking for treatment. I've gone to a lawyer to handle the settlement so I can concentrate on getting better. The problem is, I don't know which way to go. I'm currently seeing a counselor to handle my emotional intelligence. But I've read that there could be some OT's or DO's that could so something for me (i.e. address neck/headaches/bloodflow issues).

As for the behaviour modification, the counselor is not enough. So who do I go to? A neuropsychologist? I was told the primary care physician (not a DO) is suppose to give the referral.

Which way do I go?

Thanks,
BH
bh_pcs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote