Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou_lou View Post
not much?
...my boyfriend was put to sleep because of liver cancer...
his choice?
but to me same as suicide...
(((Lou Lou))) Tied had what I think is the correct response to this..."it is possible to hasten the end of life through the use of meds at high dose. sometimes this is a kindness bestowed."

That is what happened with my sister when she was dying from metastatic breast cancer. In fact, when the doctor told her (we weren't there at the time) that there wasn't anything further to do...she requested to be 'put under' and kept under. She was scared and didn't want to be conscious when her time came.

And that was what they did. They kept her basically unconscious with meds...I'm assuming high doses of morphine. Eventually your body will give out that way. The drugs aren't used to kill them, but to relieve all of their pain in the kindest way possible. And their bodies and spirit eventually give in to whatever the disease is, probably hastened somewhat by the use of heavy narcotics.

But my sister did request that. We never got to say good-bye to her. She didn't want to say good-bye to us. She asked the doctor to do this before we came in for our daily (day-long and night-long) visit with her.

So please don't think that he was committing suicide. He was finding relief from his interminable pain.

I hope you can find help soon.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (10-28-2011), Alffe (10-27-2011), barbo (10-27-2011), Lara (11-06-2011)