View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjhee View Post
Hi Crytal! Sorry about this.

I see a possible big red flag here. Frontal lobe injury, and the "A" word- anger. Google TBI or PCS and the word "anger". Thousands of hits will come up showing the big correlation between this type of brain injury and anger. (There may be a lot on this forum also, but I'm brand new here and haven't seen everything yet).

I just want to be brief here, so here's the scoop. Primitive emotions like anger (and fear, aggression, sex drive) are largely "stored" in the more primitive areas of the brain near the center of the head, which is more cushioned in an impact injury. The higher "executive functions" are housed in the frontal areas of the cortex, meaning the abilities to control the more primitive drives.

So what happens in a frontal injury is compromise of impulse control, allowing those raw primitive emotions to run unchecked. Perhaps the most common is uncontrolled anger. Not just about what happened to you in the accident, but about everything and nothing.

Also do a search on the name Phineas Gage, a railroad worker who suffered a severe brain injury and whose personality changed over night.

My TBI was also to the right frontal lobe, and boy do I have a story to tell of my own.

Kenjhee

You are absolutely right Kenjhee. I am a neurosurgery ICU nurse and instead of saying the patient is acting out, or angry, we usually describe them as frontal. Frontal injuries are the worst. Can cause major personality changes, emotional changes, impulse control issues, etc. Not only am i a neurosurg ICU nurse, but im also a patient....frontal injury as well as occipital. Never thought i would be a "frontal patient: but sure enough, i am. Its hard when you have never been an angry, depressed, or impulsive person, and now you are doing things so out of character. Totally understand!
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamisue (10-27-2011)