15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponygirl View Post
First, the man who, raised me, wasn't my real dad and by *my* choice,
he isn't a part of my life. My Bio. dad passed from Cancer, so, obviously,
he wouldn't be able to help me, either.

Phyllis
So, you have a father who is deceased. Have you filed for Childhood Disability Benefits (disabled before age 22) on his earnings record? Who is listed as father on your birth certificate? Did your biological father claim you as his child? Was he married to your mother.

If the man who raised you was married to your mother, that makes him your legal stepfather and if he were deceased or on retirement or disability Social Security, you might be able to get Childhood Disability Benefits (CDB) on his record then. But if he never married your mother, there is no chance.

You don't have to tell anonymous posters on the internet about your private business, but if you haven't filed for CDB on your deceased father, you can be missing out, not necessarily on extra money (since SSI will go down) but on additional benefits. SSI actually requires that you file for CDB if you can be entitled. You don't have to like the parent in order to qualify nor does the parent have to agree to it. If you could get ANY amount of CDB benefits, it would open up additional work incentives and medical coverage under Medicare with a possible small improvement in the quality of your life and less chance of huge overpayments for not following one of the complicated SSI income or resource rules.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote