Thread: Pet food recall
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It so stressful to sit and watch my cat asking for his wet food and having to deny him.

Guinness was on a wet food only diet when we got him from our naighbor last summer, and over the course of several months I weaned him off of wet and onto dry - which was a long process because I did it at his pace because he had already gone through so many changes.

By December he had adjusted and was eating the dry food - but he would still ask for wet food on an occasional basis and I had no problem giving him a small can every few days when he asked... he had food issues with his previous owner, so it was very important for him to know that I would never deny him food.

And now I am denying him his wet food. Our fancy feast is not on the recall list - but wheat gluten is one of the main ingrediants - so no more wet food for my cats.... I'm worried enough about the wet food they ate between December and now.

But it is breaking my heart to see Guinness asking for his wet food and feeling so terrified about this whole thing that I just can't bring myself to give him any type of wet food at all... he is certainly not going hungry because he eats the dry food just fine, but he likes his wet food -- and more than that he needs to know that he will be fed his wet food when he asks for it due to the problems that were caused by his last owner.

So far, none of my cats have any symptoms at all and I am being hyper-vigilant about watching them and checking them.

But geez - my baby Guinness is breaking my heart with his little playful game of asking for wet food by running back and forth between me and where the food used to be kept and sitting there being totally adorable as he waits for me to go and give him his wet food.... only now I am not getting up and he just doesn't understand why we are cuddling and playing games instead of getting the food he is asking for.

I am afraid that I am giving him food issues again or causing his past food iseus to rise back up to the surface - even though we have 2 dry food dishes that are always full and always available 24/7 - Guinness has always needed that reassurance that he will get his wet food when he asks for his wet food.
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote