View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Kitty, You have a lot on your plate. About 15 years ago, a routine blood test indicated I had Grave's disease (hyperthroid). I was unaware of this, thought the stairs were getting harder to go up, sweating, weakness, weight loss, loss of hair. Now it all seemed to fit. My Internist sent me to an Endocrinologist. I hope you are seeing a doctor that specializes in thyroid disease. For a couple of years, I was on meds to lower the excessive hormone output. Unfortunately, the doctor does not know what dosage will work for you until you have taken the meds for a few months; then get another blood test to show your TSH, etc. He then will adjust the meds accordigly.
I eventually went into remission for about 4 years (the endo said that was rare) but had to get blood test every 4 months to check the throid. Once you have had thyrod disease, it is always there and the blood test remain for the rest of your life.
About 3 years ago, the blood test showed I had now gone to Hyperthroid and needed to start Snythroid. Until I took the meds for 3-4 months, the doctor would have no idea whether to increase or decrease the dose. I eventually was on a maintenance dose; but started using a generic. My next blood test showed I needed a higher dose. I had read on the internet that generic for Synthroid should never be used because even if the ingredients are the same, the amonts are not. I asked my doctor to hold off and check "no substitution" on my prescription. Started taking the brand name Synthroid. He tested me in 3 months and everythng was normal again. I am on the same dose you are on at present. Do not use a generic; not the same. After your next blood work for the thyroid, the doctor may give you a prescription that could be a maintenance. You do not necessarily have to go thru a year to get to the right dose for you; but the doctor does have to wait to retest in 3 months; otherwise he cannot know how the current prescription is working. It takes a while to completely get into your system. Because you took a higer dose one time; does not mean that would be good to take for several months. Again, believe me, I understand your frustration; but it is necessary to stay on the dose you are taking for at least 3 months before he can have a better idea how much to prescribe. In fact, after taking the dose you are currently using for a month or more; you might find you are already feeling better. Hyporthroid is usually easier to treat than Hyperthroid (Graves disease). I know because I had both.
I hope the anxiety you are feeling subsides. Actually, I had the most anxiety with the Hyperthroid disease.
Again, I hope you are seeing an endocrinologist. If you are having an overabundance of hormones by taking too much synthroid, that could make the anxiety worse. In fact, some of your symptoms mimic Hyperthroid.The Synthroid adds extra hormones.

I understand the waiting must be unbearable; but if the dose you are on starts to kick in, you could start feeling better very soon. Sending positive thoughts your way.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote