Thread: MRI? Neuro?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question MRI? Neuro?

I have been told by my GP that I need to have some sort of brain imaging before a neurologist would even talk to me. I did not want a CT due to radiation and I asked if there were other imaging methods that could substitute. After a brief 'discussion' over radiation (his belief is that CT scans do not expose you to enough radiation to worry...my belief is any extra radiation is too much especially when directed at your brain) he landed on my plan of action: get an MRI in 6 to 9 months when my turn comes, and then if still symptomatic he will refer me to a neurologist.

Wondering if I should call his secretary and ask her to get him to fill out the referral. He would have if I pushed. I wasn't in the mood for more stress or arguments. My GP is awful. So I left it as is. I'm thinking now the referral might be more useful, and if the neuro really wants to see a scan they can order it. Am I right?

Have people been seen by neurologists or just family docs? What would be the difference in treatment? I would just like to talk to someone who I feel confident in, as I feel more confident in my ability to find an accurate answer using google than the answer I'll get form my arrogant and uninformed GP.
smac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frzrdoor2 (11-03-2011)