View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

bigblabber2, my best guess is that you are having spasms. I had the same thing happen after my second fusion (about 3 days later); felt like my left arm was being sawed off. Because it was a weekend my Neurosurgeon had me go straight to the ER to rule anything in or out. Long story short it was severe spasms from having the nerves decompressed. As it was explained to me later, once they are decompressed they tend to be angry and actually "plump up" for awhile. So, I was given a higher dose of Valium and it stopped. Narcotics won't usually help with that kind of pain. I would ask for a muscle relaxer and Valium is the best on the planet! I am kind of surprised your doc didn't give you at least 3 months worth of meds. My own always did; an opiate (usually Norco) and then Valium 5 mgs. And yes, you can wean off Valium just fine; I did...twice. Now, I just keep a small amount on hand when a spasm hits. Anyway, if all else fails, I agree with Cath, go to the ER; they can help you to get it calmed down. Good luck!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote