View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Won reconsideration appeal

I won my reconsideration appeal for SSDI.
I originaly applied 9/2009 from a car accident in 8/2008 that left me with double vision, psycological and nuerological problems. In Mar, 2010 I had eye surgery that corrected my double vision. They sent me to their Dr., a internal medicine Dr., who saw me for about 15 mins. and would not listen to my complaints. Next, they sent me to their psycologist/ marriage counseler/ minister (I checked his background) who was supposed to give me tests that were supposed to last about 3 hrs. It took him about 30 mins. SSDI approved back pay from 9/2008 to 5/2010 (minus the 5 mo. waiting period). This was a closed end settlement with no monthly benefit. They said from the medical information that was now able to work since I no longer had double vision. (I was a electrician and 43 yrs. old). This was Jan, 2011. I Immediatly filed a reconsideration appeal. I noted in the appeal form that the psycologist they sent me to, only saw me a brief period and seemed to be in a hurry and was very unprofessional. In Aug 2011 they sent me to their psychiatrist who spent about 3 hrs with me. On Oct 28,2011, I received my "Notice of Award" for monthly benefits. They even put me on Medicare for $115 a mo. (ouch).
I've been reading this forum for a couple of years but never joined but I learned alot and I appreciate having access to it.
After laying out the past 3+ years of my SSDI experience, I have a question that Social Security couldn't answer when I called them. My first back pay period ended May 2010. The letter from SS says "We found that you became disabled under our rules on Sept. 1, 2010. This is different from the date given on the application." When I called SS, the lady said she had no idea why they changed it but I could appeal within 60 days. Since I haven't received my back pay yet, I'm kinda afraid to appeal because it might stop or hold up my back pay. I'm just wondering what happened to June, July, and August.
Has anyone ever ran into this or can understand it?
Thanks!
bdh1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote