View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 02:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
When you file reconsideration or an appeal, you're doing so for the entire decision--not just the part you're unhappy with. Unless I'm missing something, you will now get monthly benefit, but not the original closed period award. I'm NOT positive about this, so please confirm before getting upset.

Call your LOCAL Office, not the national 800# (you maybe did the first time I couldn't tell from your answer) and they'll be able to tell you if you're still entitled the backpay going back to 2009.

Receiving Medicare Part B is not mandatory, but certainly a good value if you can afford it. Some states will cover your premium if you qualify for SSDI and/or put you on (medically needy) Medicaid. I'd at least research it.
About the reconsideration appeal, it appears you are right, If I appeal the part about the gap in back pay, I open the whole thing for a ALJ to look at and could lose everything, so I'll just "let a sleeping dog lie".
To clear up the back pay, I already received it for the period 9/2008 to 5/2010 (minus 5 mos.) My next back pay will be from 9/2010 to 9/2011. It looks like they are saying I wasn't disabled for the months of 6, 7, & 8 2010.
Don't get me wrong, I thank God I got what I did and glad this ordeal is over. It looks like i made out better than most that have to wait years for a hearing for their appeal. The local Social Security office had no idea as to why they changed the date.
Thank you very much for your advice about the appeal. Also, it appears that the state will pay my Medicare premium since my income falls within that range. Thanks again.
bdh1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote