View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

We've had discussions, but no one has tried it here yet that I know of. Some questions tho.

You can search Qutenza, and capsaicin and find posts.

Most of us cannot stand capsaicin but I believe I've seen a post here and there about it for the tough ones who can survive the burning.

This patch does not burn out nerve endings. It blocks substance P which nerves use in pain signal transmission. It is also very very expensive. It does not cure, and when it stops blocking substance P, the problem may still be there and the pain may return.

Let us know how it goes, if you try it. I personally don't like capsaicin products. I imagine there will be heavy push by drug salespeople to doctors. Some insurances will not approve and pay for a new expensive drug when FDA only approved for shingles pain.
There are some insurances still today that will not pay for Lidoderm patches without a prior diagnosis of shingles. So make sure you investigate the payment plan.

If your doctor thinks you have postherpetic neuralgia, I'd ask to try Valtrex first, as it may help even when there are no blisters/lesions.

This fairly recent article is not favorable to this new patch either:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0902121057.htm

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote