View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi_Fruit View Post
Hello, all. Hoped to never be posting here, but here I am.

According to an MRI about four years ago, my back is pretty shot. I've got some bulging/herniated discs around L4 and L5-S1 w/ spinal stenosis, arthritis and possibly DDD. The thing is, I have no pain or weakness. Zip. Never have. I DO have some tingling in the feet and legs. The idea of surgery scared me at the time. I was referred to a surgeon, who said I'd probably "be fine" with some PT...and I was, for years.

This year, however, the tingling and strange sensations have become somewhat more pronounced. This morning, I woke up with tingling thighs and my saddle area somewhat numb, which, quite frankly, freaked the hell out of me. Bowel and bladder control are both fine.

I've got a neuro appointment next week for other issues. What should I do? Should I mention this?

Well, I certainly wouldn't run off and have surgery just because my "saddle" is numb. Although saddle anesthesia is indicitive for centralized space-occupying lesion (a rather serious and obnoxious problem), if you have no motor or bowel/bladder changes, I would also look at metabolic reasons for your sensory changes (thyroid, diabetes, etc...there are others). Polyneuropathy and myelopathy are also a consideration.

I would also get a lab work-up for metabolic problems and repeat MRI of the lumbar spine to R/O new issues, perhaps EMG/NCV and SEP if warrented before I let anyone chase me around the room with a scalpule.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote