View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
A couple of suggestions.

Has she tried Lidoderm patches? They help to provide some pain relief, BUT they also reduce the stimuli that can most aggravate allodynia such as fabric touching the skin, wind, etc.

Prior to the RSD onset I had been wearing a wrist brace for 2 years or so. After my 3rd surgery (the trigger for my RSD) I could no longer stand to wear a brace. I became very proficient in guarding my "bad" hand, though. I did it so often, that I end up causing my elbow to get worse, along with new pain in my right shoulder, trapezius, shoulder blade and neck.

Has she tried working with a pain psychologist? I don't think I could have broken my habit of guarding without help.

And lastly, finding the right combination of pain meds, in the optimal dosages, was key for me. I choose to limit outside stimuli by staying in my home, so that I can CONTROL my environment. Even a tens unit, for when she's in public, might be a good idea.

When I'm out in public, I now have coping mechanisms I learned in therapy (such as breath work) along with meds to help me deal with the pain and not further exacerbate my RSD by guarding.

Edit to add: I use a pillow for travel and at times at home--pretty much when my pain is elevated from unusual activity. If she's like this all the time--her meds are not adequate IMO.

I have very little atrophy at this point (it was much worse years ago) and while my range of motion is decreased, it's within normal ranges.
She tried the patches but the patch itself was causing a rash. She does use several kinds of creams, lidocain, ketamine and others. But not on that arm as far as I know. I do know the doc has suggested it. She has talked to a psychologist sometime back when she was working. Every once in a while, not often at all, she will replace the brace with what looks like a thin sleeve or sock but did not wear it for long. I think she knows she should try do get rid of it. In time perhaps?
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (11-04-2011)