View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default unemployment benefits vs ssdi benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by untilthebell View Post
Collecting unemployment & filing for disability?

Hi everyone! I'm new here so I apologize if this has been asked before. My husband has been collecting unemployment for 8 months now due to being laid off. Yet he filed for disability due to a number of health issues from Seizures, Depression and Arthritis.

My question is- if he was to win this disability claim, what do you tell unemployment? Do you say the reason for stopping unemployment is that he's unable to work? Will there be anything to worry about? Such as unemployment asking for money paid back?

Every week he was applying for jobs online and we have a record of that. He was applying for jobs that would suit his disability.
i would have to say that collecting unemployment benefits while trying to win ssdi might cause some sort of conflict.the whole idea of collecting unemployment according to the rules is that they are assuming you are looking for work.that is the whole basis for giveing unemployment and one of the rules that they require while you are collecting unemployment benefits is that you must try to look for work.however,on the other-hand if social security see's that you are looking for work while collecting unemployment benefits like your supposed to then they will say that well your condition can't be that severe to award benefits if you are actively looking for work while collecting unemployemts benefits...social security will place a big emphasis on that portion of the unemployment benefits rules which as i mentioned already states that you must be looking for work while collecting unemployment benefits.
Any information helps.

Thank you.
i would have to say that collecting unemployment benefits while trying to win ssdi benefits might cause some sort of a conflict.the whole idea of collecting unemployment according to the rules is that they are assuming you are looking for work.that is supposidly one of the responsibilty's while collecting unemployment benefits.however,if you are actively looking for work while collecting unemployment benefits like your supposed to then social security will see this as your health not being to severe to be considered disabled under their rules...maybe when the unemployment benefits run out might be wiser to apply for ssdi then.
gilbert is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote