View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I can still do my job. I really don't have any restrictions. Sure, I have trouble walking, but my job is pretty much sitting at a desk all day. It's not my dominant hand either.

This was not a result of a work injury. In fact, I still don't know what caused it. I have a feeling it was overuse from typing so much, but I have no proof of any injury at all. I even said to them that all that should matter is that I'm still able to do my job. They kept saying they were just concerned for my health, but I really don't believe that. I think they saw me teetering on my cane and are worried I could fall and hurt myself....then it'd be a work injury.

I am worried because they like to lay people off whenever they really want to fire someone. They could very well decide they don't need the 3rd person in my department and "lay me off." The longer I'm out, the more I'll worry they'll decide they don't need me. (They'll just wait a few months and then say that work picked up and they needed to hire another person. They know their way around lay offs.) I'm also afraid that if I don't do as they asked, they'll find another way to get rid of me.

They know it's RSD and they've known that for quite some time, but I don't think they bothered to look it up until it spread to my foot and I was written out for a couple of weeks. I am lucky enough to be in a state with TDI, but I'm just worried that they'll take my absence as a good excuse to decide they don't need me there. (I know it's not true, btw.)

The voice activated software would be a good idea if I had my own office and wasn't in a cubicle in a sometimes very loud room. Could a restriction be that I need my own office and that software?

They did not lay me off yet and they only said they'd pay me for the next day (Friday) so that I could go see my dr. They fully expect I'll be written out of work, but there's nothing stopping me from doing my job and doing it well. However, I think my dr. will write me out to give me some time to rest if I need it. I think he'll leave it up to me. I just don't know which option is best.

After reading catra's reply, I think I'm going to explain everything to my dr. and tell him I don't see any reason why I can't work. I really do think I need to get a wheelchair though. I'm putting so much extra stress on my good foot and hand that it may spread there next.

I need to fight this. I need my job and I know it'll be hard for me to find a new one with this illness/disability. Thank you so much for your opinions and kind words.
Al Ke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote