View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had terrible double vision. In fact, I've never heard of anyone with dv as severe as mine. My opto said there are not prisms strong enough to correct mine. I would see two images, totally separated, and usually the right one would be at about a 30 degree angle. If one would look at me during my double vision episodes (which would last 20-30 days at a time), I would either be totally cross-eyed, or totally looking toward the outside of my vision, or one eye rolled upward where it was barely visible, or any combination of the above.

It was disorienting and terrible for my self esteem. The double vision, combined with facial weakness and slurred speech made me appear either mentally challenged or drunk (as parents as my daughter's school readily told me after my recovery following the chemo).

Prednisone can often improve double vision, as mestinon doesn't usually do a very good job of it. Early on in my MG life, prednisone restored my vision for a couple of years, and then the MG came back with a vengeance and nothing would help.

I wouldn't take to heart what your neuro said about your vision "never" improving. It's amazing how things can improve with the right med or combo of medications.

Hang in there!
4-eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote