View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Can it move this fast?

Hello, ANY help is greatly appreciated.. I am in limbo time trying to figure out what is going on.. I have one dr that said he was concerned for ALS, one said maybe CIPD.. and others said "i'm complicated" and don't have any idea.. ugh..
i'm a 31yo female (8 months post partum).. Anyhow I would love to hear if symptoms could really move this fast for ALS.. I had some big GI issues the past few months with a lot of weight loss with it.. I was presumed celiac.. so starated gluten free diet (8 weeks ago now). My intestines seemed to heal and thats when my neuro symptoms started
8 weeks ago - felt like my right knee was "flopping" thought nothing of it,, one week later both forearms achy and extreme fatigued feeling.. my right leg and both arms woke me up every single night feeling like they were asleep and cramping - all over fasiculations started (all over!! I however have had muscle twitching in both legs x 3 years after walking any period of time or working out- first started when pregnnat with my daugher and i had bad hyperemesis, so again probably malnourished a bit).
6 weeks ago all finger tips especially thumbs weak- always, it doens't come and go. the joint at the base of my thumb is especially noticable when I try to pick things up.
during this time ALL over muscle fatigue- ie going to the restroom tuckered out my abdominal muscles after the slightest strain.
1 week ago the extreme muscle fatigue has now moved up to my shoulders and neck and worse in my hips.. hands remain the same- loss of fine motor skills etc.
1 week ago slurred speech starts.. swallowing feels odd- choking.. My tongue just feels wierd, almost numb.. when I looked at it it is asymmetric with the underside looking very odd and the top of it has the normal grove in the center, plus a grove on each side.. that I don't remember being there..

I'm worried sick.. No one can figure out whats goign on- negative head and neck MRI, B6 was elevated (I was on supplements), b12 normal and all other tests beside slightly elevated ANA have been normal
My EMG was performed by a physiatrist that said it was all normal with the exception of demylenation on one leg. I had a few fasics on the EMG, but he said "they don't go the direction that ALS fasics go" not sure what that means.. A neuro who looked at that EMG report said everything was slow- that my nerves/muscles were functioning like a 90 year old

Anyhow.. this all seems like it has happened so fast, can ALS go that fast? My twitches have improved, though they are still there (took anxiety meds the past few weeks after being told ALS was a concern). Lyme tests are pending. Thanks in advance to any advice yall can give me.
bny806 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote