View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Optical Problems

I have been battling MG for about 2 1/2 years and have experienced double vision problems twice. The first happened shortly after my thymoma was removed while I was still in the hospital. My experience is both my eyes totally lock to the point where I cannot move them at all. I was given predsinone and that cleared up the problem. But my neuro did not continue with the predsinone after my eyesite was corrected.

Then about five or six months later it happened again. This time my neuro decided to try two IVIG treatments (knowing that I had already had four IVIG treatments since my first diagnosis with no positive results at all for my total MG condition). So for two months I really suffered with the double vision to the point that even wearing an eye patch did not help. I couldn't eat and was so sick to my stomach that I finally ended up in the hospital again. He started me again on prednisone at a low dosage and worked me up to 60 mg a day. In a matter of a couple of days my eye site returned to normal. Why he didn't do that instead of the IVIG treatments is an amazement to me.

Since then we have been slowly reducing the daily dosage and now I take 25 mg one day and 5 mg the next. I'm afraid I'll have to be on prednisone for a long time as a maintenance. That's not too good but what can I do. I can't take Mestinon (tried once and ended up in ICU for a week - I'm allergic).

Good luck finding a solution to your eyesite issues.

Southern Bell
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote