Thread: question
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Who was driving?

The name forgetting and even loss of recognizing her face is not uncommon. It can be brought on by stress or something that startled him, etc.

I have been married 31 years and often have to stop to think to say my wife's name. It is like I have to sort through a list to find hers. I usually call her Sweetie because it comes to mind quicker and easier. My brain identifies her as a sweet person easily. It struggles to attach an abstract name to her, even though I have know it for 32 years.

I was discussing distance runners with a TBI friend and was trying to tell him about a runner from Kenya from the early 1970's. The name that came out was Kunta Kinte of Roots. I had to stop and work a bit harder to come up with the other name that had 2 Ks. It was Kip keno. My brain just short circuited to the other name with 2 K's. We call that a brain fart.

Your son may have had a seizure like event, too. The "he wasn't there'' can be a petit mal or absence seizure. It is where the brain literally checks out for a brief moment. I had these throughout elementary and high school. Some times it looked like I was day dreaming. Other times, like I just was not there.

He should not be operating a car or bicycle or anything like that until he is free of this symptom for at least 6 months. It is not epilepsy even though some epileptics have similar episodes. Mine were treated with anti-seizure meds for a few years. The meds quickly controlled them. Be sure to tell his doctor about this. Also, be aware of him when he appears to be spaced out or such. He will not likely recognize or remember these events unless someone else gives him a reference. You and Nicole can quickly see it in his eyes. Note the situation when these events happen. There may be triggers.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 11-08-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: brain farts
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-29-2012)