View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 03:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD38 View Post
Its obviously a necessity to get it done so think positive and STRONG. Get yourself mentally prepared as best as possible. I have bilateral A/VTOS and had ATOS first rib excision 2 1/2 months ago. Yes, there are post op issues, I now have pulsatile tinnitus ( a strong pulsing sound in my ear on the unoperated side)..... not at all pleasant BUT at least now one side has resumed a strong blood flow and a reduced risk of aneurysm. My lymph nodes near the scarring are abit sluggish so I'm self massaging ( lymph drainage ) to help with post op swelling. I'm due to have the other side done in December so again having to mentally prep myself!
You will experience new strange sensations such as neuro signals, numbness around excision and muscle tightness which can be worrying in the few weeks post op, mine eased up ALOT after about 6-8 weeks with the help of gentle stretching exercises and very gentle massages.
My advice is purely this..... DO NOT RUSH!!!!!!!!! post op. Take your time and allow yourself to heal, properly. Some people are lucky and recover quite quickly, others have ( unforeseen) post op stuff to deal with and so need extra time off work etc.
Eat healthily and drink plenty of water to cleanse your system.
Just be sure that you have a good support system in place and don't be shy to ask for help!
REALISTICALLY: I really don't think there is an alternative....... Short of NEVER again lifting your arm to the side or raising it up or back (which brings on the compression)- it's there for life.
The odds for this type of TOS surgery are much more successful. BE POSITIVE!!!!!
Good luck and make sure that you rest well.
Thank you SOOOO much for the words of encouragement! I definitely needed that. I guess it's the speed with which things are moving that scares me the most. But this forum has wielded some amazing advice -- far more than anyone is going to get from any doctor EVER.

Thank you all, old and new, for sharing your stories. I, for one, could not be more grateful.
BigMama6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-07-2011)