Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb My opinion

here is that the SPEED with which this situation presented indicates
a biological toxin, either from bacteria or fungus contamination, or pesticide
or other chemical residues on the source.

I understand the autoimmune factors for celiacs, but these occur over time.

But the gluten has been in pet foods for a long time, and a sudden
event like this just doesn't wash for me, as being due to autoimmune causes.

I recall "peak X" that resulted in the removal of all tryptophan products from
the market years ago. It was not identified except for the "peak" that showed up in gas chromatagraph testing for many years. This occured in Japan in 1989 and caused an epidemic of EMS (eosinophilia myalgia syndrome) where some people died.
Finally in 2003 the mystery was sort of solved:
Quote:
J Rheumatol. 2003 Jan;30(1):89-95. Links
Structural characterization of a case-implicated contaminant, "Peak X," in commercial preparations of 5-hydroxytryptophan.

* Klarskov K,
* Johnson KL,
* Benson LM,
* Cragun JD,
* Gleich GJ,
* Wrona M,
* Jiang XR,
* Dryhurst G,
* Naylor S.

Biomedical Mass Spectrometry and Functional Proteomics Facility, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the chemical structure of a contaminant, X1, previously found in eosinophilia myalgia syndrome case-implicated 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-OHTrp), and also present in over-the-counter (OTC) commercially available 5-OHTrp. METHODS: Case-implicated 5-OHTrp as well as 6 OTC samples were subjected to accurate mass HPLC-mass spectrometry and HPLC-electrochemical detection, and reacted with reduced glutathione. Peak X1 was subsequently subjected to HPLC-tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS), as well as the resulting nucleophilic glutathione product. All these data were compared with analysis carried out under identical conditions on authentic 4,5-tryptophan-dione (Trp-4,5D). RESULTS: Based on accurate mass, tandem mass spectrometric analysis, and comparision with authentic standard compound analysis, X1 was determined to be 4,5-tryptophan-dione, a putative neurotoxin. The presence of X1 in OTC samples varied from 0.5 to 10.3% of the amount of Trp-4,5D present in case-implicated 5-OHTrp. CONCLUSION: Peak X1 was identified as the putative neurotoxin Trp-4,5D. It was found in case-implicated 5-OHTrp as well as 6 OTC samples. This gives some cause for concern in terms of the safety of such commercial preparations of 5-OHTrp.

PMID: 12508395 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Given the complexity of our food production chain, an organism or contaminant could be introduced at any time in the process. The wheat itself could have been contaminated in situ as well.

I think only time will tell. And it may be a long time too. For now, removing wheat gluten from pet foods (some do not have it in there) is the only way to be sure your pet is not getting possible contaminants. There are some varieties that do not have gluten in them. I also wonder about dry vs moist.
So far no dry products have shown up on the recall lists. Only moist, and with gravies. If this IS a contamination issue, I would start to worry about corn gluten as well! It could develop into a huge issue over time!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote