View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh my...I just read through all the posts in the link you posted and I am SO sorry for all that you have been through! Ugh...it is so frustrating when you are dealing with problems and just get bounced around from one doctor to the next. It seems like you have really been through a lot with very little success.

The problem with RSD is that it affects everyone differently. Not everyone with RSD has ALL of the symptoms...but there are 4 categories of symptoms that the doctor need to see or you need to experience to generally be diagnosed with RSD. It's not a case where if you've ruled everything out then it must be RSD. So I don't know if what you are experiencing is RSD...I certainly HOPE it is not...but here are a few things to consider.

You've definitely got the pain and sensitivity to touch. You describe it as a sunburn like pain...does your skin get red or hot...or does it just feel like a bad sunburn? Are you more puffy or swollen in the areas where the pain is? How about any mental symptoms like trouble concentrating, difficulty sleeping, etc?

Does ANYTHING help with the pain? RSD pain is very different and reacts a lot differently than other types of pain. You say ice makes it worse...which WOULD be consistent with RSD. Have you tried Lidoderm Patches? I know it hurts me when I first put them on...they are cold...but after some time they help relieve my burning pain a little. Heat generally helps and I've tried a variety of things to help with that from generic air activated heating wraps, to microwaveable heating pads, to plug in heating pads, and even a space heater just to keep the air around me warm without having to put any weight on the sensitive areas.

Does anything other than touch flare up the pain such as a cool breeze, cold temps, weather changes, etc? Does even a very light touch (including clothing) cause you intense pain?

Also...how about trying Lyrica? Neurontin didn't help me and I had a horrible reaction to Cymbalta...but Lyrica helped me (at least in the beginning) and I took that in conjunction with meloxicam (nsaid), tramadol, and doxepin. Everyone is different so sometimes it's just about finding the right medication for you. Lyrica was good for me but others HATE the stuff. But don't let the docs put you on a whole bunch at once because then you won't know which is really helping.

Oh...and another thing that may be worth a shot if you haven't tried it is a TENS unit. This can help with a lot of different types of pain, not just RSD, and it might be worth a try. This has been the number one thing for me in helping with my RSD pain and has allowed me the ability to do physical therapy which I need to get back to being a functioning member of society.

If it were me...I would probably try Lidoderm patches first and see if that gives you some relief. You can put it on the areas where you are experiencing the pain. Then maybe heat in some form. Then maybe the TENS unit. If the doc wants you to get physical therapy for your back/neck then they may have a tens machine there and you would be able to see if that gives you some relief.

I honestly don't know if you can have RSD if you only have the pain...but just because it isn't RSD doesn't mean that some of the RSD treatments and things that we use to help relieve our pain wouldn't be useful to you or worth trying.

I hope that you get some relief/help soon. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions!
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote