Thread: question
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I think there are two varieties of this dysfunction. The prosopagnosia is a failure of the brain to process the multiple features of the face as a unit to be recognized. The other is a failure of the brain to connect the recognized face to the name. I struggle with the second. I can often recognize a face but struggle to connect it to a name or situation.

Some with prosopagnosia can learn to use a specific facial feature as the recognizing point. This is not necessarily the same technique as connecting a facial feature to an image to a name.

Visual recognition memory is based on the brain establishing an index of images. If the index is mixed up or has weak links, linking the current image to the indexed image will be difficult. The more copies of a specific image/face are stored and indexed, the better this visual memory system will work. If the brain is not filing these images properly and orderly, it is like trying to use a file cabinet full of mixed up files. The brain gets lost.

A speech therapist or even occupational therapist may teach some memory skills to help with this problem. It is common to brain injury.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote