View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

orfray's post with some spacing for readability

this all sounds like what I've gone through. dreadful experience. I have some doubts about whether or not it was due to the possible concussion I had. I guess I'd like some opinions from others about whether or not it could have been related. I had my wisdom teeth removed on the 30th of July, and 5 days later I hit my head quite hard on a steel support beam. There couldn't have been much force behind the impact but it made a loud noise, and the beam vibrated, so so did my head and my brain.

I felt dazed, my vision went blank for a second, but other than that I felt okay. I was drowsy and sleepy anyway from having my teeth out so I went to sleep. I had no other physical signs of concussion that I noticed and felt concerned about, I hardly remember having a headache. However, that night, I had an extreme, and I mean extreme, anxiety/panic attack, in which I felt intense fear until I finally calmed myself, and resorted to sitting down with a red face, ringing ears and my swollen and bruised face, feeling half dead.

The next morning, I woke up and felt as good as I could have; skin and bones from living on a diet of chocolate mousse and ice cream, and teary when I had to call off an interview I had planned with a volunteer organization because my face was still so out of whack and so was I emotionally.

I was okay for the next 3 days, and on the 4th day, someone upset me, or emotionally abused me, and I got really angry, which was really out of character, and I thought I was going to lose myself, or I'd go mad; and I ended up sobbing in my brother's arms for an hour with an aching heart. I was okay though when I had settled down, and I had an appetite because I ate a whole punnet of strawberries.

I had no idea I had concussion. On the 5th day, I made myself get ready and go out. I went to a health food shop to get something to help my skin recover from the ordeal, and while there I found something called anxiety aid, a herbal medicine to help with anxiety and insomnia. I was fine on the first day of taking the pill, I felt great. I realized the dose was a bit high, so I was only taking one pill.

The day after however was when I started to have feelings of derealization, I felt extremely detached, as if the world was bulging, everything seemed bizarre, noise was hurting my ears and I felt so weird. I blamed it all on the pill, presuming it was normal to feel that way. The next week, I wouldn't let myself rest, I was out and about every day doing something, even though I was fatigued; fatigue was the only real symptom of concussion I had, although it was probably related to my decreased health.

(Please give me opinions on whether or not you think I had a concussion). The next week, I was still taking Anxiety Aid, and I picked up a novel for the first time, and the words were just all scrambled and I couldn't process what I was reading. I went to University on the same day, with the foggy feeling, and felt very strange and extremely unsettled because of the strange feeling.

I took myself to the doctor afterwards, and in the waiting room I was noticing that when a new person entered, I'd completely forget they were there until I saw them again a few minutes later. The doctor ran blood tests, and they were fine. The weeks after became a living nightmare; I scrutinized my every move in fear of becoming mad. And I absolutely convinced myself I had brain damage from the anesthesia or the hit on the head, and which lead to a melt down.

I was in a huge daze as if I hadn't woken up properly, I had, or felt like I had poor concentration, mental dullness, concrete thinking, DP and DR, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, lethargy, fatigue, feeling detached from reality, personality changes. I was working my way up to distinctions at university, and I could not begin a simple essay, leading to me withdrawing from subjects.

I just feel tired. No creativity, I was apathetic, emotionally numb, disorganized thinking, and bad forgetfulness, feeling disoriented and dissociated. Insomnia at times, seeing stars, blurred vision, and sensitivity to noise. I wasn't feeling as bright or capable as I did before the crazy events, and felt less insightful. I couldn't communicate my emotions to others because it is near impossible to describe.

My doctors thought I was mad; I was referred to a psychiatrist, to be screened for mental illness, which I refused to do. In all that I did have a CT scan, which came back fine, of course. It seems to Anxiety Aid did this to me, but I know it could have been post concussion syndrome. Is that possible without headaches and other physical symptoms like that?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote